Tuesday Summer Run 3
Footpaths around Grappenhall (approx. 8.3 miles)
Because of the way that the footpaths in this area link together there are a many points at which you can cut this run short, so only the two longer options are given here.
- Leave Broomfields via the footpath that goes to the left near to the corner of the all weather pitches. This brings you into Farnham Close, follow this bending left then right until you come out on Bridge Lane.
- Cross Bridge Lane and continue in the same direction down the footpath in front of the houses, follow the footpath round to the left at the corner of the houses onto Dale Lane.
- Follow Dale lane for only 200m, then cross the wooden footbridge on the right, and follow the obvious footpath going directly up the hill.
- At the top of the hill cross the style and turn left onto Lumb Brook Road and continue for approximately 200m.
- As the road bends to the left, take the obvious footpath to the right through the trees, this bends right then left and at the end of the trees bends left again, eventually bringing you to Broad Lane with the Cricket Club on your left.
- Cross Broad Lane and continue in the same direction on the obvious footpath, after approx. 200m this brings you out onto Church Lane.
- Turn right onto Church Lane and take care on the cobbles and uneven pavement.
- Turn right, keeping the canal on your left.
- As the canal bends left, take the footpath on the right running away from the canal.
- Follow this footpath which twists a little right and left, until you reach Broad Lane.
- Turn right onto Broad Lane going up hill.
- Take the first left, Hall Lane, which quickly becomes a footpath.
- On reaching the last of the trees, but before reaching the houses, turn left onto the obvious footpath.
- Follow this footpath as it turns right at the next clump of trees, and remain on it as it bends to the right before reaching Lumb Brook Road.
- Follow Lumb Brook Road as it bends Left through ninety degrees passing a group of houses, and then take the first turning on the Right into Dodd's Lane.
- Follow Dodd's lane to the end and turn Left onto Green Lane.
- After approx. 500m you pass a small group of buildings, turn immediately Right on to the obvious footpath, and follow this until it reaches Blackcap Road.
- Turn Right and follow Blackcap Road to the mini roundabout.
- At the roundabout turn Left onto Dipping Brook Avenue.
- Follow Dipping Brook Avenue over the next mini roundabout, approx.200m after the mini roundabout you reach the Stag cut into the grass on the right hand side of the road. At this point turn Left and take the obvious footpath through the trees.
- At the next junction of footpaths, bare Right and continue on, crossing over Pewterspere Green Road.
- (Cut off number One)
- (Cut off number Two)
- (Longer run option)
- Turn Left, cross the mini roundabout and follow Hillside Road, after approx. 400m it will bend to the Right and after approx. 200m the road runs out and becomes a footpath.
- Follow the footpath, after approx.300m it will bend sharply Left then Right and joins Firs Lane near to a farm building.
- At the farm, take the footpath on the Right that leads across the Golf Course. This will eventually bring you out onto London Road. Turn Left and continue down London Road.
- At the traffic Lights cross London Road, and turn next right into Broomfield's Road, continue on until the main entrance to Broomfields Leisure Centre on the right
Cut Off 1 - Run of about 7.5 miles
- Cross Longwood Road and take the obvious footpath opposite (this is actually Old Pewterspear Lane), follow this for approx. 700m then once you are in the trees take the obvious footpath and continue to Dudlow Green Road.
- Cross Dudlow Green Road and pass through the gap under the house and follow the footpath for approx. 300m, this brings you out onto Longwood Road.
- Turn Left onto Longwood Road and continue for approx. 400m then turn Left into Lyons Lane.
- Follow Lyons Lane passing the bollards half way down. At the junction cross into Caversham Close, this runs into the footpath which brings you into Broomfields at the back of the all weather pitches.
Cut Off 2 - Run of about 7 miles
- At the roundabout continue directly on down London Road.
- At the traffic Lights continue on again, and turn next right into Broomfield's Road, continue on until the main entrance to Broomfields Leisure Centre on the right.
Longer Run Option - Run of about 10.3 miles
- At the roundabout turn left onto London Road, then turn right into Hatton Lane at the Cat & Lion.
- Immediately after the Hatton Arms turn first right into Goose Lane.
- Goose Lane has houses on both sides and eventually runs out at a gate.
- Follow the obvious footpath keeping the large area of trees on your left hand side, the footpath runs through a small thicket of trees and bushes which can drain badly in wet weather.
- Continue along the footpath until it runs out onto an uneven gravel path / roadway, follow this to the right as it passes a farm and then bends left at a cottage, after approx. 150m it comes to an end at the junction of Park Lane and Firs Lane
- Follow Firs Lane, gaining height until at the top you reach the cemetery gates.
- Turn right into Windmill Lane.
- At the end turn left into Quarry Lane which drops sharply, at the bottom turn left into London Road.
- Cross London Road at the traffic Lights, and turn next right into Broomfield's Road, continue on until the main entrance to Broomfields Leisure Centre on the right.